Saturday 28 August 2010

Microwave Cake

Microwave Cake

I'm living in Gayndah at the moment. One of the benefits (or not... ) of this is that I meet lots of French people!

Now, someone told me that the best chefs in the world are French... You would never know it from the French people in Gayndah! In fact it is a stretch for most of them to make a fish finger sandwich!

One thing that I have learned from the French of Gayndah is the secret of a cake that you can make in the microwave! This seems miraculous to me, and I thought it would be of interest for all of you that don't have access to an oven! The ingredients are as follows...

1 Yoghurt (any flavour)
1 yoghurt pot of sugar
3 yoghurt pots of flour
3 eggs
1 yoghurt pot of oil
1 tea-spoon of bicarbonate of soda
200g of dark chocolate

you will also need
one large oven proof bowl
one small oven proof bowl
a spoon for mixing
a microwave

The instructions couldn't be simpler...

Just add the ingredients to the large bowl one at a time, mixing thoroughly after every ingredient. When you get to the chocolate, you want to break it up, place it in the small bowl, and put it in the microwave for 2 minutes or until it is melted. Once it is melted, just add it to the rest of the ingredients and mix.

The resultant mixture should look something like this...

Once everything is mixed together you place the large bowl into the microwave and put it on high heat for 12 minutes. Be aware that the mixture will rise considerably, so make sure that the mix has plenty of space to rise into. The first time I did this the bowl was too small and the mixture spilled all over the microwave...

You will know that the cake is done when it is firm but spongy. Depending on your microwave you may need to give it more or less time.

Cut the cake into slices and serve...


Variations

Use different types of chocolate to give different tastes.

Add some dried fruit like raisins. I think one yoghurt pot would be about right...

Add choc chips to the recipe.

Top the cake with icing sugar, or coco powder...

2 comments:

  1. This is very good. I'd like to try. I have a microwave but not an oven :-)

    I have never baked a cake before. Just wonder if you put choc chip into the mixture, wouldn't it be melt with the cake (mixture)?

    Another question, you said that big bowl is too small. So how big do I need? Do you have any idea for the ratio?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ????? Baking a cake in the microwave...??? I can't believe! I'll try it. My parents have a microwave.

    ReplyDelete